just a quick note to say hello and share a great recipe for summertime bbq’s and gatherings.
This one whips up in 10 min or less, and is a great treat to bring to a gathering where you may want to ensure that there will be something healthy for you to eat.
Looking for an alternative to chips? Try these options:
- sliced tomatoes (Roma or Beefsteak work best, Heirloom is too fragile)
- sliced zucchini, cucumber or yellow summer squash
- Wasa crackers (they even make wheat free, but not gluten free options)
- Rice crackers
- Carrot “chips”, which is more like slicing carrots at sharp angle to get a chip like slice out of a large carrot
- sprouted grain, rice, or spelt tortillas, sliced into wedges
Enjoy this simple recipe, which can also act as a base for other hummus/bean dip type recipes. The basic equation is: beans + fat source (avo, EVOO, tahini) + salt + spices/seasonings:
Black bean and avocado hummus
2 cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large avocado
½ – ¾ cup fresh cilantro
2 tbsp lime
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp olive oil
Put all ingredients in a large food processor. Blend on med-high. You may need to stop and mix a few times to get a smooth product. Add up to 1 additional Tbsp of olive oil if the mixture is not mixing easily. Serves 12-15. This hummus also goes great in burritos or on tacos.