When I started this blog, I wasn’t sure exactly what and where I wanted it to go. Simultanelously, in my personal life I’ve been working deeply and intently on releasing my attachment to sugar and refined carbs.
Well, truth be told, lately my commitment to being “off white” has been less than ideal. Okay, it sucks. I have some health issues (leaky gut and candida…..sexy,huh!) that really need me to be very low sugar and high veggies and protein. Sugar is seriously like crack for my brain and like a train wreck for my digestive system. It simply does not work. For a while I was rockin’….and slowly the white stuff began creeping back in. A slice of bread here, a piece of cheese there, etc.
This past week has been tough because my body has been hit hard again with what I know always happens when I eat lots of sugar, dairy, and grains. I feel like crap. I gain weight. I get constipated (TMI for some of you, and I’m sorry, but it’s true!)
And then last night, a cathartic moment: I can use my blog to share my journey as I recommitt to the off-white lifestyle, and maybe other people will get something out of my trials and tribulations. I mean, if I’m going to suffer through sugar detox yet again, at least maybe one of you can learn something or at least get a good laugh as I lament about the hardship of driving past the donut shop without the overwhelming urge to pull in and eat every cream puff and bismark bar available.
So, in addition to the other stuff I ramble about, I’m gonna ramble about me too, and about my off-white journey.
What I did to get started:
You know, when I start a new project, I like to begin with a clean slate. For me, this means having 2-days of very “light” eating, to give the ol’ GI system a rest. Lord knows I’ve been asking it to work double time lately with those extra bites of bread, the walnut pig-out earlier this week and the ever antagonizing junky hot chocolate.
To reset myself, for two days, I eat the following:
3 servings of veggies/day, with at least 2 being green (today was spinach mostly, with some tomatoes and carrots thrown in there)
2-3 servings of whole fruits, and maybe a few anti-oxidant rich dried fruits like dates. Yes, I know dates are high in sugar, but I’m trying to just reduce what I eat and keep things simple. I will focus on low sugar fruits soon. I don’t give up the sweet easy, you see.
2 servings of high quality protein powder/day, made into a shake. I like Whey Factors because I can’t have soy (allergy).
Tons of water and some herbal tea if I want. I choose to have some random cinnamon/cardamom tea at a local coffee shop. Good stuff.
What I noticed:
- Even in 24 hrs I have more mental energy than I have had in several weeks. In the course of the evening I went walking, called my mom, returned an item via UPS (required packaging it up – I’d been putting it off), gave my husband a mini-massage, cooked some sweet potato and spaghetti squash for the weekend, called a friend, vacuumed and am now blogging. And its only 9;15pm. This is more than I’ve done all week.
- My digestion is already better. That whole constipation issue…yeah, its gone. Enough said.
- I’m not hungry, despite the light foods I’m eating. I’m getting what I need. I’m not stuffing just a little more in. I feel good.
- I’m actually excited about the potential of being free of the sugar/white stuff bondage. It is so oppressive.
- I’m willing to share this with you. That is a big deal for me.
That’s it kids! More tomorrow.