My husband, Matt and I are off, for a week in Mexico starting tomorrow.
Some interesting observations I have realized about myself while on vacation:
- It is actually EASIER for me to make good food choices when I’m away than when at home, despite being limited to the situation I am in when traveling.
- I tend to make WORSE foods choices the few days before I go. I liken this one to stress or the pressure I put on myself to “look good” on vacation. whenever I put any sort of physical appearance stress on myself, it usually backfires. I suppose I just don’t like pressure 🙂
- I really savor the flavors of my food and my digestion is better. At home I have a nasty habit of eating while working, or eating while doing something else. This is no good because I don’t connect with my food. IF you want to know more about connecting with your food, check out the mindful eating document in the bottom box of this blog.
Here are a few tips/tricks I do use to help me enjoy my vacation instead of being hung up on food/body image:
- BYOS: bring your own snacks. Ialways pack an arsenal of raw nuts, flax chips, gluten-free bars, and sometimes fresh fruit (though not this time – I think I’ll find PLENTY in Mexico)
- Bring a water bottle for the plane. Those dang airlines are really chinsey with doling out the water, so I just bring my own. I also use this bottle when out and about. It saves $$ and I’m guaranteed to have my water.
- Bring teas. I love good tea, and I’ll feel less deprived if I have what I want.
- Taste local flavors: spices, veggies or meat dishes that are unique to the region. I can eat bread and stuff like that anywhere – I want the good stuff. So, for this trip, I want good salsas, guacamole, carnitas, fajitas, tropical veggies, etc….YUM!!!
So, that is it! I’ll be back in a week 🙂 If I can write from the beach while I’m away, I will!